My sweet man in the moon earrings!
This man in the moon design originated at the turn of the last century when it was hand-carved into a steel block to form a master hob for die pressing at a jewelry factory. I feel so fortunate to have a supplier who is trying to save all the antique master hobs from the scrap mill, especially those of the Art Nouveau period, with my most highly esteemed nature themes. His machine shop carefully creates new impression dies from these saved antiques and allows modern makers to keep the vision of that long ago artist alive.
1. These earrings began as a 99.9% fine silver ingot. I 'rolled' this down in my rolling mill with a repeated process of annealing the silver with a torch and then reducing the thickness through rolling until the metal 'hardened' again, at which point I'd repeat the process.
2. When the metal got to about 20 gauge in thickness, I did a final anneal and then rolled with a texture plate to create the baroque design of the back-plate.
3. I followed a similar process for creating the impression (front) - using the fine silver I had rolled down, but this time stamping it with my hydraulic press using the impression die pictured above.
4. The impression was sawn out and then soldered to the back plate, which was then also cut out. This creates a hollow form that has a nice heavier look with substantial "feel," but is still comfortable and lightweight.
5. I soldered a sterling silver earring wire to the hollow form. Sterling makes great ear wires because it is stronger and more rigid than 99.9% fine silver.
6. After sanding all sharp edges, I lightly oxidized (antiqued) the earrings. This was followed by a tumble finishing, first with ceramic media, that gives a velvet matte finish and then with a stainless steel shot media and burnishing compound to give them a final polish.
It's a lot of steps and time consuming, but I create up to a dozen pieces at a time, taking them through each of the steps together, to try and speed it up a bit. Seriously a labor of love!
Your earrings will be placed in a Shiny Sparkly Things gift box and carefully packed for shipping. Please report any shipping damage or problems within 7 days of receipt and we will get you taken care of. If you are unsatisfied with your purchase for any reason, please contact us within 7 days of receipt for a refund authorization. We are deeply committed to providing our customers with the same service we giver our family and friends and want you to think of us when you think of great service (and beautiful, unique jewelry, too, of course!).
We accept all payment options Etsy offers, including Etsy gift cards.
We ship only to the United States and all items are shipped by US Postal Service Priority Mail.
We have free shipping on all sales.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
We gladly refund if you are not 100% thrilled with your purchase. Please convo me within 7 days of receipt to arrange for return.
I love my customers!!!
I never share buyer information with anybody else and rarely (if ever) send out newsletters.